Thursday, May 19, 2011

Yoga in the Church? Unheard of...Absurd...or not?

‎"While an alarming number of Western Christians suppose they can achieve physical and spiritual well-being through a form of yoga divorced from its Eastern worldview, in reality attempts to Christianize Hinduism only Hinduize Christianity" - Hank Hanegraaff


http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/what-is-yoga-

I don't understand why some Christians feel they must embrace yoga. There are many good things you can do to stay in shape that don't come out of false religions. If you've ever been in one of my Bible Study classes, chances are, you've heard what I think about it. I understand that there are many benefits but can't you get those same benefit without opening your mind to these false things? Funny thing, I taught Bible Study classes for a long time at a church where I PREACHED against Christians and YOGA for years. Fifteen minutes after I left, the new staff member's wife was teaching yoga up in that same church and some of my former students were in the class. Obviously they didn't buy my take on it. I understand I have no real standing where exercise is concerned. I'm not concerned about your stretching, but I'm very concerned about the things that are creeping into out theology at the same time we are embracing these things of the world. What do you think? Opening your mind to things God said to stay away from or harmless? You know where I stand, what about you?

No comments: